Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

Job

About a week and a half before I left for Texas I was talking to an old friend of mine online. And like many conversations people have with friends they haven't seen in some time the topic of jobs came up. I told this friend I had been out of a job for quite some time (about a year and a half to be exact). He then proceeded to ask me if I wanted him to check if there was something available where he worked. I told him sure not thinking anything would really come of it.


The next thing I knew I was sitting at an "interview" for a job at 1am. Yes, you read that right my "interview" was at 1am. See this wasn't for any old position. It was for a graveyard position. The reason I also call it an "interview" is because it wasn't much of an interview. Basically, I sat there while this man did everything he could to scare me away from this job. I pegged him as a jerk from the beginning and that opinion hasn't changed, it's only been solidified.


As you might have guessed he offered me a job on the spot. The only problem was I was leaving for Texas the next week. I told him as much and he told me to call him as soon as I got back and he would see if he had something for me. The next week just before I left for Texas my friend contacted me and told me I had a job and would start once I came home. I was relieved and devastated all at the same time. J.R. and I desperately need the income but I really didn't want to have to take this particular job.


I got home from Texas only find that I actually didn't have a job. I spoke to the manager and he informed me that he didn't currently have anything for me but he hoped to have something in the next week or two. (As you might guess there's a fairly high turn around for a job with hours like this.) I was again relieved that I didn't have this particular job but was met with the dilemma that I still needed a job and fast.


I spent the next week in a mad rush to find a job in hopes that I wouldn't have to take that job when he eventually called me. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Friday night at 12am this manager called offering me a job.


I'm very thankful that I finally have a job again. I'll just be even more thankful when I can find something a bit more convenient. The one thing about this schedule that has been nice is the fact that we only have one car at the moment. It makes figuring that out a whole lot easier.


So for now I sleep while J.R. is at work and he sleeps (or tries) while I'm at work. We're making it through. It's not very easy as we don't get to see each other very much. It's just going to take some extra work to stay connected with each other. We are also consoling ourselves in the hopes that this is simply a temporary state of affairs and that something better will come along soon.


Oh and if you've made it this far I'm sure you're wondering what in the world I'm doing that I have to have such crazy late hours. I'm doing data entry at a medical lab. I thought it would be horribly boring and repetitive, but its not. It's actually pretty challenging and keeps me on my toes which is nice considering the hours. However, I do feel terribly old as most of the people I work with are quite a bit younger than I am. You'd be pretty stunned at who all handles your lab work.


So that's what I've been up to the past couple of weeks. Despite not being thrilled with the job I have, I am happy that I do finally have a job. I praise God for always being faithful and providing for J.R. and I, even if its something I don't really want to do.

0 comments: