Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tom & Sue's Wedding

A few weeks ago J.R.'s aunt Suzanne asked if I could make the cake for her upcoming wedding. I was a bit surprised she would even think of me. I agreed, then spent the week before regretting that decision. It seems whenever I do a cake there is one mishap after another.

My first clue that this was going to be a stressful cake came when I attempted to purchase all the necessary items. The first store I encountered was closed, so that would have to wait for another day. Thankfully, those materials weren't necessary until the end of the week.

Unfortunately, things went downhill from there. J.R. and I went from store to store for the next 2 1/2 hours attempting to find the correct ingredients. All that time and I still was unable to purchase everything. The next day I went out once again to retrieve simply the ingredients I needed to bake the cake. This turned into only a slightly less ordeal as I was finally able to get what I needed. I returned home and began baking only to discover I ran out of baking spray. Thankfully, my mom gave me a quick tip to fix that problem without having to run to the store once again.

The next two days met me with one more trip to the store, fortunately it was open this time around, and the beginning of my flower making. The one thing that did turn out as good as I imagined was the flowers. They were quite nice if I do say so myself. There, however, was even a mishap with these. I took someof the flowers I was working on with me to work and didn't want to leave them in the hot car. A couple of ladies were admiring them when one picked one up and began to eat it. I gasped and asked what she was doing. She explained she thought she could eat one. I told her yes they areedible but no I didn't want her eating them as I still had many more to make. her face immediately turned red in embarrassment as she began to apologize. I laughed at her and told her it was alright.

Thursday I finished up the flowers and made the icing. Friday I made one more trip to the store for the fillings. I then put the cakes together and iced them. I went to work expecting to come home and smooth the icing. This turned out to be the most frustrating part of the process. The icing simply would not smooth out as I planned, not to mention, the color of the icing darkened far more than I anticipated. I was almost in tears and about to simply toss the cake at the wall. Thankfully, my mom was there to calm me down. I was finally able to get the cake looking decent and went to bed.

The next day J.R. and I got to the wedding early to set up.The wedding was very nice. I received many complements on the cake, not only the look but the taste. I still wasn't completely happy about it because it didn't' turn out like I envisioned it. However, I got it done and everyone loved it.











0 comments: