Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Today, I wanted to discuss Father's Day a little bit, as after all it is Father's Day. I am truly blessed to have an incredible dad. He quite often gets on my nerves. But that may be because we have some common character traits. Growing up my dad and I used to butt heads a LOT. We are both particularly stubborn and unwilling to give in to the other. My dad never quite learned that when it comes to dealing with me its better to let me settle down and come to my senses. I am much more rational when I am not upset. However, in the heat of the battle, I refuse to admit any wrong. We could have saved years of frustration had my dad simply learned to let me be and not have an alarming need to hash things out right then and there.

I also learned very young how to press my dad's buttons. I was very manipulative even before I knew the word. Evil? Probably. Fun in the heat of battle? Most definitely. I remember my dad and I would be arguing and he would be yelling and screaming at me and he would make the comment, "Now see we're both upset ..." I would calmly reply, "I'm not upset," causing my dad's blood to boil over. I could work my dad into a fit of rage in no time flat. It's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it is what it is.

My dad is quite the sentimental guy. I remember when I was baptized at 12. My dad, being a pastor at our church, was the one to baptize my brother and me. I remember standing in this pool of water with my dad while he spoke to the congregation. I can't remember a thing he said that night. What I do remember is that my dad cried with pride and joy. Looking back I'm touched, as a 12 year old I was mortified.


My dad is truly an amazing man. While my mother tends to be the peacemaker in the. house, I know my dad is the real reason why our family is still intact. My dad refused to allow himself or my mom to give up on each other even in the worst of times. That is why this August they will celebrate 31 years of marriage. I am so thankful for that. It is such a stabilizing force in my life and a comfort to know that I can rely on at least one thing in this earth.

My dad is also one reason why I didn't date a whole lot, ever. No, my dad wasn't keeping all the guys away. My dad simply set a standard in our house of how a man should treat a woman. I refused to settle for anything less. Though not my intention, I ended up marrying a man very similar, OK insanely and weirdly similar, to my dad. I didn't plan things this way. Some days I shudder at the thought. But its comforting to know. My marriage is very similar in temperament to that of my parents. (Maybe because I am also extremely similar to my mom, J.R. calls us twins separated by a generation.) I can only hope that my marriage will be as successful as my parents.

So this was not at all what I was intending to write about, but I guess this was what was on my heart. I am so very thankful to have such an incredible dad.

0 comments: