Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Water Balloon Fight

At my school we have a missions team. Its a fairly new thing that has developed over the last couple of years. The past two years the teacher in charge has taken them to Mexico during spring break. It has been really incredible to see the reactions of the students when they return from these trips. This year they have also made the effort to visit a homeless shelter once a month. Its a really great thing for the students to be able to see outside their little worlds. This next summer they are planning a trip to Panama. Right now they are in the midst of many different fund raisers to lessen the cost. Even though these students are attending a private school, most of them can not shell out the extra money to go on these trips.

This past Thursday they had a fundraiser that involved teacher participation. I reluctantly agreed to go along with their plan. Honestly, I didn't want to do it (neither did any of the other teachers). But I couldn't tell them no as it was for a good cause. The fundraiser? They sold water balloons to the students to hit us teachers with. Can you see why I wasn't jumping at the chance to do this? They set up this big circle on the field and then another outer circle. The students were supposed to stay behind the outer circle. But who are they kidding, there is no way they stayed back there. We were bombarded with balloons. Initially, we all got pretty wet. It wasn't because we were being hit directly either. The splash from others catching the balloons was enough to get some of us pretty wet. I had a couple of direct hits, one to the face and one to the arm. They didn't pop. It hurt.

Some of the boys got a little crazy and were filling trash cans with water. The male teachers then tried to wrestle the trash cans away. It was quite the sight. I stayed as far away as possible during these skirmishes. Then the students decided to get out the hose. Well, thankfully the hose didn't make it all the way to where we were. But one of the teachers decided to wrestle the hose from them. He got it and started spraying the stands. Then he was doused with a trash can full of water. It was pretty funny. I stood there watching all this go on. I wasn't too concerned with getting hit anymore because basically all the balloons had been popped and all the action was going on far away from the circle. That's what I get for letting my guard down. All of a sudden out of nowhere I got hit in the behind. I turned around quickly to find one of the boys running away. This is the student that if there was a vote would be voted off the island by the teachers the quickest. Dang it! I had to be hit by him of all people.

So turns out my dread of this event was unfounded. It was actually pretty fun. Our missions team was able to raise over $200 too. Thankfully, I was smart enough to remember a change of clothes so I didn't have to sit in my wet pants for the last hour of the day.

0 comments: